Anticline Mitts (2/19 & 3/4)
Wednesdays, Feb. 19 & Mar. 4; 6-8:30 pm
Emily Greene’s Anticline mitts are a textural feast! They’re also a great way to learn how to cable without a cable needle, and feature opportunities to experiment with new cast on and bind off techniques.
The class fee includes a copy of the pattern; you’ll receive a link by email to download and add the pattern to your Ravelry library.
- 217 (256) yards of fingering-weight wool or wool-blend yarn (yardage depends on which size you’re making: S/M (M/L), to fit palm circumference 6.5-7.5” (7.5-8.5”))
- One pair 32” or longer circular needles (if using the Magic Loop method) or one set double-pointed-needles (DPNs) in size needed to obtain gauge; see Homework section for more information about needle size and gauge
- Stitch markers
- Tapestry needle
Yarn for this class must be purchased at Yarn Social. We offer a 10% discount on yarn and supplies purchased for a class.
This pattern requires a gauge of 28 stitches x 40.5 rows = 4” square in stockinette stitch knit flat and blocked. The recommended needle size is US1 (2.25mm), but you may require a different needle size to match the pattern gauge.
- knit gauge swatch:
Using a US1 needle suitable for use on this project, cast on 40 stitches.
Row 1: knit all stitches.
Repeat row 1 for ½”.
Next row: knit 5, purl to last five stitches, knit 5.
Next row: knit all stitches.
Repeat the last two rows until piece measures at least 4.5”.
Next row: knit all stitches.
Repeat the last row until you have ½” of garter stitch. Bind off.
- block your swatch. Soak your swatch in tepid water for at least 5 minutes. Gently squeeze out the excess water, then dry flat.
- measure your stitch and row gauge.
If your stitch gauge matches the pattern stitch gauge (i.e., 7 sts/inch), you’re all done.
If your stitch gauge is larger than the pattern stitch gauge (i.e., more than 7 sts/in), repeat Steps 1-3 with a larger (e.g., US1.5 or US2) needle until your stitch gauge matches the pattern stitch gauge.
If your stitch gauge is smaller than the pattern stitch gauge (i.e., fewer than 7 sts/in), repeat Steps 1-3 with a smaller (e.g., US00 or US0) needle until your stitch gauge matches the pattern stitch gauge.
Bring your gauge swatch(es) to class.
Yarn Social class policies:
- For most classes, a minimum of three participants is required, unless otherwise specified. If a class has been cancelled, you will be notified at least two days before a class is scheduled to start, by email, text, and/or phone call. Your class fee may be applied to another purchase, or refunded.
- Unless otherwise specified, the required supplies are not included in the cost of the class. Class attendees may purchase class supplies at a 10% discount.
- In the event of inclement weather, Yarn Social may cancel a class and will make every effort to provide a make-up session. Participants will be notified of an inclement weather cancellation by email, text, and/or phone. If a class is cancelled because of inclement weather, your class fee may be applied to another purchase, or refunded.