Top-Down Sweater Workshop (1/22, 1/29, 2/12, & 2/26)
Wednesdays, January 22 & 29 and February 12 & 26, 2020; 6-8:30pm
Become an expert sweater knitter! Learn the innovative Cocoknits Method for making top-down sweaters that fit! We will cover creating a top down yoke using the Cocoknits Worksheet as you begin the sweater of your choice from the Cocoknits Sweater Book.
A copy of the Cocoknits Sweater Workshop book is required for this class. We have copies available for purchase in-store if you do not already have one.
Prerequisite Skills: Prior knowledge of knitting and purling, increasing and decreasing, knitting in the round, and reading patterns and charts.
- Cocoknits Sweater Workshop Book (required; available for purchase at Yarn Social)
- Cocoknits Sweater Workshop Journal (optional, but highly recommended; available for purchase at Yarn Social)
- Yarn in the recommended weight and amount for the pattern you’ve chosen to knit (see Homework for more details).
- Recommended needle size for your chosen pattern
- Cocoknits round stitch colored markers (required; available for purchase at Yarn Social)
You may use yarn from your stash for this class. If you’d like to purchase materials for this class, we offer a 10% discount on yarn and supplies purchased for a class. Please arrive 15 minutes early if you need to purchase yarn.
- Choose a pattern from Cocoknits Sweater Workshop and read through the pattern. Select which size you’re going to make and confirm you have enough yarn for the project. We can help you modify a size to better fit your own measurements.
- KNIT A GAUGE SWATCH:
You must demonstrate that you can get gauge with your selected yarn and needles. Matching the stitch gauge is crucial; if your row gauge does not match the pattern gauge, we will discuss how to account for this in your knitting.
Your swatch should be at least 6” square. You should measure and record your gauge both before and after blocking your swatch. If you do not match the pattern gauge in our first swatch, use a different needle size until you get gauge. We can help you troubleshoot this if necessary!
If you are knitting Emma (any version), Tilda, Lizzie, or Molly, your swatch should be in stockinette stitch. If you are knitting Tallulah, your swatch should be in garter stitch.
Bring your swatch to class so we can confirm your gauge matches the pattern requirements and make any modifications to account for differences in row gauge.
Yarn Social class policies:
- For most classes, a minimum of three participants is required, unless otherwise specified. If a class has been cancelled, you will be notified at least two days before a class is scheduled to start, by email, text, and/or phone call. Your class fee may be applied to another purchase, or refunded.
- Unless otherwise specified, the required supplies are not included in the cost of the class. Class attendees may purchase class supplies at a 10% discount.
- In the event of inclement weather, Yarn Social may cancel a class and will make every effort to provide a make-up session. Participants will be notified of an inclement weather cancellation by email, text, and/or phone. If a class is cancelled because of inclement weather, your class fee may be applied to another purchase, or refunded.