Why Gauge Matters (4/25)
Saturday, Apr. 25; 1:30-4pm
Have you ever followed a pattern to the letter but ended up with a huge hat, itty bitty socks, or a sweater that would fit your whole family? Do you want finished objects that are the size you expect them to be? It all comes down to matching the pattern’s gauge.
This class will cover making a gauge swatch for a project, how to measure your gauge, what to do if your swatch gauge doesn’t match the project gauge, and much more!
- Smooth worsted yarn in a light color, about 200 yards
- knitting needles (may be straight or circular) in US4-US11. If you don’t have all sizes, bring at least one US4, US, or US6; one size US7 or US8; and one size US9, US10, US10.5, US10.75, or US11
You may use yarn from your stash for this class. If you’d like to purchase materials for this class, we offer a 10% discount on yarn and supplies purchased for a class. Please arrive 15 minutes early if you need to purchase yarn.
Using a US7 or US8 needle, cast on 25 stitches using your preferred cast on method.
Knit in garter stitch (knit every row) for 3 inches, then switch to stockinette stitch (alternating purl and knit rows) for another 3 inches. Bind off.
Yarn Social class policies:
- For most classes, a minimum of three participants is required, unless otherwise specified. If a class has been cancelled, you will be notified at least two days before a class is scheduled to start, by email, text, and/or phone call. Your class fee may be applied to another purchase, or refunded.
- Unless otherwise specified, the required supplies are not included in the cost of the class. Class attendees may purchase class supplies at a 10% discount.
- In the event of inclement weather, Yarn Social may cancel a class and will make every effort to provide a make-up session. Participants will be notified of an inclement weather cancellation by email, text, and/or phone. If a class is cancelled because of inclement weather, your class fee may be applied to another purchase, or refunded.